August 13, 2017
GOD’S WILL: YOUR SANCTIFICATION
1 Thessalonians 4:3-5 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication: That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour; Not in the lust of concupiscence [evil lusts], even as the Gentiles which know not God:
What does sanctification mean? According to the 1828 Webster’s dictionary it means, The act of making holy. In an evangelical sense, the act of God’s grace by which the affections of men are purified or alienated from sin and the world, and exalted to a supreme love to God.
What can I do to be growing in sanctification and have more victory over sin? God’s Word has much to say about this. We live in an “I want it, and I want it now” age. However, if you desire to grow in sanctification you must invest time in the following:
- The Holy Spirit’s primary means of our growth in holiness is the Truth of God – The Word of God. We must read, study and meditate on the Word.
- John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
- 2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
- Psalm 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
- Psalm 119:93 I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me.
- 2 Peter 1:2-4 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
- The Holy Spirit uses our evangelists, pastors and teachers to help us mature.
- Ephesians 4:11-16 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
- Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (To be continued)
AWANA Leadership meeting
Saturday August 19
10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
If you are interested in working in AWANA you may talk to Bob Lefevre and show up at the leadership meeting.
First AWANA Club meeting – Wednesday, August 23 6:30 – 8:00 PM
The Cool Class
Wednesdays at 6:30 PM – Preschool thru 6th Grade
Taught and supervised by the Couples for Christ Class
Each Wednesday evening until AWANA starts.
Wednesdays at 7:00 PM – Regular Mid-Week Service
Saturdays at 9:30 AM Visitation
Saturday, August 26 at 7:00 AM – Men’s Prayer Breakfast
Thursday, September 14 at 6:00 PM – Teachers and Workers Banquet
Tuesday, September 19 at 11:30 AM – Senior (55+) Potluck Luncheon
October 8-11 – Ron Comfort Evangelistic Campaign
December 7 at 6:00 PM – Christmas Banquet (Dave McCracken)
The date for the Teachers and Workers Banquet has been changed to September 14 at 6:00 PM.
GOOD USED CLOTHING
Dawn Davis and Helen Vosburgh are collecting clothing of all sizes for all ages. The clothing should be clean and in good shape. Distribution will probably be on a Saturday in August or September. Everyone will be welcome to participate.
Note: We haven’t received enough children’s clothing. We especially would like to see much more good clothing for children of all ages.
RU Meets Fridays at 7 PM / Sundays at 9:30 AM – Everyone is welcome. We especially need a van driver for Friday nights.
RU has a great curriculum for the study of the fruit of the Spirit and fruits of righteousness: An RU Definition from our curriculum: Obedience is unequivocal ‘compliance with God’s guidance’ showing reliance, absent of doubtful defiance. — Come join us!
After each service, we make available to families in need of a bag of non-perishable groceries (limited to one bag per month). To help us keep our pantry stocked we welcome you to bring in non-perishable items. We do not need any vegetables at this time. We are short on peanut butter and canned meats such as tuna, chicken, Vienna sausage, spam, etc. Please bring your items to the front foyer and let an usher know. Richard and Judy Sabin oversee this ministry.
Please look at the expiration dates. We cannot give out expired food items.
FOR 58 YEARS … PREACHING the BIBLE
… the WHOLE BIBLE
… and NOTHING but the BIBLE!
2855 N. Craycroft Rd. Tucson, AZ 85712
Church Office Phone: 327-5938
Dr. J. C. Joiner, Pastor
Rev. Carroll Frankland, Assoc. Pastor
Jamie Frankland, Children / Activities Coordinator
Jacque Joiner, Ladies Ministries
Ron Cox, RU (Ph. 248-5216)
Sunday Services at 9:30 AM, 10:30 AM, & 6 PM
Wednesday Services at 7 PM
(VBS & Youth Ministries at 6:45 PM)
RU: Fridays at 7 PM
Visitation: Saturdays at 9:30 AM
After each service, audio is available on our web site: