Dear Fellow Church Members:
I wish all of you the most prosperous year 2017. God, in His Word shows us how to be prosperous and successful. God effectively works through His effectual Word.
When I was 16 years old I purchased a brand new red mahogany leather Schofield Reference Bible. I read through it in 11 months. God used that Bible and the good church that I was in to keep me from participating in many evil things other teens were involved in. I give credit to God that His Word is effective.
I know that many of you have made a daily practice of reading and studying the Bible. I want to encourage those who haven’t started this practice to start now. If you have never read the Bible before, I would recommend you start with the New Testament first. We have reading plans at the back table. Please pick one up and start reading every day.
The Effectual Word of God
1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
The Bible will keep you from sin; sin will keep you from the Bible.
Psalm 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
The Bible is a living book. Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Not only is it alive, but it enlivens spiritual life in us. Psalm 119:25 My soul cleaveth unto the dust: quicken thou me according to thy word. Psalm 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.
As we read and meditate upon the Scriptures God does the following:
- He gives us a certainty that the Scriptures came from God and are true and authoritative. We are often full of doubt, but as we read and meditate upon the Scriptures, the doubt is removed. Our old nature doesn’t want to submit to the Scriptures and keeps a seed of unbelief in our hearts. Our new nature believes the Scriptures. We can put our finger on any verse and say, “I believe that.”
- Psalm 119:160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.
- John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
- 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
- 2 Peter 1:20-21 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
- He removes the hostility toward Scripture caused by depravity. Our old nature hates the light of the Scriptures. Our new nature delights in the Scriptures.
- Psalm 119:24 Thy testimonies also are my delight and my counsellers.
- Psalm 119:47 And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved.
- He gives us ongoing capacity to understand the significance of Scripture. God gives us an understanding of the meaning of Scripture. He also gives us wisdom to apply Scripture to live in accordance to its commands.
- Psalm 119:18 Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.
- Psalm 119:33-34 Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end. Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.
With all that God has given us in His Word, shouldn’t we commit ourselves to form a strong daily habit of reading the Word of God? Read it. Study it. Meditate upon it. Memorize key verses. Let us dedicate ourselves to spend much more time in the Word of God and prayer for the year 2017.
With Love in Christ,